If you are confused about whether to repair or replace the water heater if it is showing issues, then this article will help you to effectively solve all your doubts.
Repair of the existing unit may be needed, in case your water heater is not heating up or leaking. In this regard, you can easily find water heater repair services in Los Angeles that are inclined towards providing the best services in this aspect.
To get a clear idea about this, all that you need is to learn about the signs that suggest the need for the replacement of a full water heater whenever the time comes.
First of all, let’s have an understanding of how long the water heaters last.
How Long Do The Water Heater Last?
A water heater usually lasts between 8 and 12 years. This is specifically based on the suggested service life of the manufacturer.
But, this can vary with the design as well as the location of the unit, maintenance schedule, installation quality, as well as the quality of water. If your water heater unit is old i.e. more than 10 years, then leaks are the most common issue that you may come across.
You will find the presence of leaks specifically around the tank base or if it works erratically, then it is time to replace the unit.
To cut your energy expenses, you may also choose to upgrade to a more efficient unit.
But, in some cases, repairs are considered to be enough to solve the particular issue that you are experiencing in your water heater. Sometimes, troubleshooting and repairs can even save the unit.
So, before you consider replacing your water heater unit, you should make sure that the electrical problem like a tripped breaker or a blown fuse is not the reason behind the failure of the unit.
Do you know that regular maintenance of your water heater unit is capable of extending its life?
Regular maintenance will also reduce the need for replacement. Only small repairs will be enough to solve issues that you are experiencing with your water heater. These kinds of repairs mostly involve replacing a heating element or a pressure relief valve.
Troubleshooting Of The Common Issues
The most common problem which people mainly come across is the water heater is incapable of heating water sufficiently. This occurs due to a defective heating element or a faulty thermostat.
All that you need is to consider the following things whenever the water does not become adequately hot.
Gas Water Heater
- In this regard, you should focus on checking the connection of the gas as well. Other than that, you should make sure that the pilot light is lit.
- To successfully eliminate any sediment build-up from the tank, you need to flush the heater.
- Insulation of the hot water pipes is also needed.
- Another important thing is to do an effective cleaning of the gas burner along with a complete replacement of the thermocouple.
Talking about the thermocouple, this is considered to be a safety device that is involved in the automatic shutting off of the gas by going out of the pilot flame.
- You should also focus on adjusting the temperature setting and raise it specifically on the thermostat.
Electric Water Heater
- It is very important to make sure that the power is connected. Also, you should focus on resetting the thermostat.
- You need to flush the heater which will effectively remove sediments from the tank.
- Another important thing is to insulate the hot water pipes.
- You should also focus on replacing the thermostat or heating element.
- You also need to adjust the temperature setting and raise it specifically on the thermostat.
Some Other Issues Experienced And Their Solutions
Sizzling Or Hissing Sound:
There may be an accumulation of sediment in the tank. In this regard, you need to drain the tank until the water clears.
Another thing that you need to do is to remove as well as soak those elements in a pan or something that contains white vinegar in it for about an hour. The final step is to scrape off the collected scale.
Leaking Water Supply Pipes:
If this type of issue occurs, then it is suggested to tighten the fittings. If that does not work, then it is suggested to shut off the water as well as replace the fittings.
Leaking Pressure Relief Valve:
For this type of issue, replacement of the valve is considered to be the only solution.
Maintenance Of The Water Heater
Nowadays, the manufacturing of water heaters is done in such a way that, it requires little or no maintenance.
But, if you focus on following simple maintenance tips, then it will surely extend the life expectancy of your unit. Some of the maintenance tips to keep in mind includes the following:
- You need to drain the water heater at least twice a year. This is something that helps to effectively get rid of collected sediment which is responsible for corrosion. Also, this tends to increase efficiency.
- Another important thing is to consider doing effective testing of the pressure relief valve which is possible by lifting the handle of the valve.
After that, you will have to let it get back to its original state. This will release a burst of water specifically into the overflow drainpipe. In case, the problem does not resolve, then it is suggested to consider the installation of a completely new valve.
- You need to adjust the temperature setting and lower it on the thermostat to 120 °F. Also, this particular step tends to effectively reduce the damage occurring to the tank which is caused due to overheating.
So, whether it is best to opt for repair or replacement is dependent on your requirement. In most cases, if you are having a new unit, then repair is considered to be enough. But, in the case of an old unit, replacement is often necessary.
- Can You Charge Apple Pencil with iPhone? - May 17, 2023
- Most Profitable Small Business Opportunities in Canada - April 21, 2023
- Pros and Cons of Wearing Post-Surgery Shapewear - April 11, 2023